Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Using computers and related things in the classroom

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/13/education/13social.html?pagewanted=2&_r=3

This article talks about the growing trend of using technology and internet tools in the classroom. OMG!!!! Of course I am used to this, but it is a new thing for a lot of people. The article talks about a small but growing group of teachers that use social media such as Twitter to encourage class discussion. Of course there is the concern for distraction, but a lot of the teachers say that a lot more students are more engaged and inquisitive learners when they use social media. Often, the teachers set up "backchannels", which are alternative ways to "talk" during a discussion.

I think all this is pretty great, and another reason why more school need some of these coolio laptops. It matters to me a lot because, well, I think computers are pretty great. Which is an interesting thing to say because sometimes I consider myself a naturalist and a traditionalist. Everything in moderation.

No comments:

Post a Comment