Thursday, March 3, 2011

iPad




I am a contradictory person. I am practical sometimes, and indulgent other times. My dad is always practical and my mom was always indulgent. I could sense those differences and the problems that arose from them, so I suppose I subconsciously am trying to compromise.

Anyways, the new iPad came out as you probably know. Not a big deal really. I do think the iPad is cool, but I would never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever get one unless I really really really really really really really really don't have ANYTHING to spend my money on. This includes every single obscure and expensive device, every charity on the planet, college funds for my future children and their children's children.... If I get all of that taken care of then I would consider buying an iPad.

That is, until the iPad 2 came out.

I checked it out because I was bored and curious and as soon as I saw it I found myself under a powerful, intoxicating, ineffable spell. Now I have this horrible, undying, and painfully strong WANT for this beautiful device. Wow, boy is it an awesome piece of aluminum and glass. My want is so unbelievable.

Why is this want so strong? I think this originates from Apple's genius marketing; absolutely sinister, it is. I think the reason it is so great is because people are so loyal to Apple. It is one of those corporations that has succeeded not because of smart investment or whatever, it's because they made awesome stuff. Steve Jobs started out as a barefooted rebel out of his garage, and in some ways he hasn't lost that rebelliousness. I think it is his imagination, and the imaginations of the people that he has surrounded himself with, that was able to put forth innovations like the Macintosh, iPod, iPhone, and now the iPad.

I don't think the iPad is really that great. It's a compromise between the touchiness of an iPhone with the power of a Macbook. But really, I would rather just have an iPhone so that I can put it in my pocket. Regardless of its uselessness, Apple has managed to market the iPad as a revolutionary device that will soon be in every American home, etc. No matter how much logic I jam into my brain, the consumerist inside me still yearns for the sexy aluminum curves of this pointless indulgence.

Oh, did I mention that it comes in white? WHITE!?!?!? GAH.

No comments:

Post a Comment