Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Libyan rebels push far and fast as Obama reassures the nation

So, in a rather nice turn of events, rebel forces in Libya have begun to push back on Gaddaffi's (or however you spell that) troops, thanks to US and NATO airstrikes. Well I think this is just dandy. Really, I do. Another cool thing is that the rebels have been able to ransack ammunition dumps left behind by the retreating government forces. They are now closing in on Tripoli, although they have been met with increasing resistance. I really do hope they throw that government into the trash.

Meanwhile, Barack Obama made an address to the nation the other day to talk about Libya, which I watched. I found it quite nice, although I stopped paying attention after a while. I liked what he said about there being a moral obligation to step in there. I agree, 100 percent, with the government's decision to send some planes and boats over there. I mean, really, a dictator was killing civilians and threatening to kill more. I just think that they should have been more clear in the beginning, because for a moment I was scared we were going to have another war in the middle east.

I do think that Obama made a mistake in his speech. He decided to talk about the US plane that went down. In case you didn't know, a fighter jet had a malfunction and crashed. The pilots ejected safely into rebel territory and were treated by the people in a nearby town. However, when a US helicopter came to pick the pilots up, it mistook the rebels for enemies and opened fire on them. Several people were wounded, including a little boy. I'm not sure if anyone was killed. But even if nobody was seriously hurt, I don't think Obama should have even mentioned that event at all, even if is highlights the friendliness between the rebels and the US.

Anyway, as always my prayers go out to all of the innocent people who are needlessly suffering

No comments:

Post a Comment