Thursday, March 17, 2011

Song of the Now



Jonny Greenwood - Prospectors Quartet

I could write on and on about this song. I find it so beautiful and sad and fragile. It comes from the soundtrack to the film There Will be Blood. It is a fantastic film. I believe that if it hadn't came out the same year as No Country for Old men, it probably would have grabbed best picture. This song I think really illustrates the damage that Daniel Plainview's madness has caused. This is the last track on the album which I think fits that nicely. At first it is exciting prospects for oil, but soon you find that Plainview is a madman, and this song illustrates him finally breaking down. I love nearly everything about this song, from the surging cellos to the chord progression to the almost waltz-like climax of it before it finally ends on such a quiet, sad note.

Wimper not bang.

In case you didn't know, Jonny Greenwood is also the guitarist in the phenomenal band known as Radiohead.

No comments:

Post a Comment